v. 15 – Q3 2020
|Market Executive Summary
The United Arab Emirate (UAE) is implementing a system in the UAE aimed to ensure the safety of patients by giving each medicine a barcode reducing the chances of any mistakes when dispensing medication.
The barcode system provides comprehensive and intelligent solutions in the management of pharmaceuticals and drug dispensations, relying on GS1 Standards. The Dubai Health Authority (DHA) made it obligatory for all pharmaceutical companies, agents and suppliers to supply pharmaceuticals with a barcode based on the GS1 Standards and 2D Data Matrix.
- March 31, 2021: Uploading the data on GS1 UAE portal
- July 1, 2021: Implementing the 2D barcode and serialization on the packs
- September 2021: Aggregation required
- June 2020: Mandated use of GS1 standard for all medicines in the supply chain in Dubai, including GLN for identification of trading partners and 4-element 2D Data Matrix on secondary packaging
- January 2020: Extension of aggregation deadline to March 31, 2020
- December 2019: Scope limited to human pharmaceuticals only. Vet products will not be required during initial phase.
- November 2019: Level of barcoding required on level of aggregation to include carton/case/outer pack and pallet.
- September 2019: Tamper-Evident Packaging required
<-- Return to Countries